The DUFF. It sounds like a fun, sweet, funny, maybe even fluffy, read. Surprise, surprise, it’s not!
The DUFF has sweet, funny, highly entertaining moments but for the most part, it was realistic. And CYNICAL. And I love it.
Bianca, the main character is matured compared to her peers. She is sassy, badass, headstrong, and very much a cynic. I love her. She’s not your usual YA character. She’s not perfect. On the contrary, she’s flawed, stubborn, dark and twisted. She’s the DUFF, the designated ugly fat friend (she’s not ugly nor fat but her friends are prettier) and the whole novel is centered on her inadequacy.
Wesley Rush, on the other hand, is just as fleshed out. At first, he seemed like a typical jock – sporty, cool, handsome, and a womanizer. Bianca assumed he’s a shallow prick and it’s easy to think that way, right? But as the story progressed, Bianca saw that there’s more to Wesley than meets the eye.
I also liked the supporting characters, though they’re not as well-written as Bianca and Wesley. There’s a love triangle but it’s not as annoying as most love triangles are. I can even say with certainty that it worked for this novel. Toby, the other side of the triangle, is an interesting character and I love that he’s so different from Wesley. They have nothing in common but I found myself rooting for the both of them at different parts of the book. In general, the characters in this book are likeable and believable even when they’re doing things that I don’t agree with.
This book was written so well that it was hard for me to believe that the author, Kody Keplinger, is just 19 when she wrote this book. Nineteen! What was I doing when I was nineteen? Worrying about guys and my thesis, that’s what. But Kody here, she’s written a novel that spoke so much truth about teenagers (probably also because she’s also young and she’s been there). A lot of things that Bianca and Wesley and all the other characters in The Duff went through are things that really happen in real life.
The DUFF hit a lot of nerves… in a good way. It reminded me of high school and college, how I was a DUFF myself. I had friends who are prettier, cooler, taller (not hard to be taller around me, I’m 4’10) and like Bianca, it bothered me at times. But just like her, I also realized that it didn’t matter at all.
This book is not for the conservative types. It has lots of swearing and sex, which you don’t usually encounter in YA novels.
The DUFF, with its cynical main character, is also optimistic. An unlikely combination but that's why it's so refreshing. If you’re a fan of character-driven books and books about teens who are real and not all fluffy, read The DUFF. You won’t regret it.
Have you read The DUFF? Have you seen the movie (ugh. Such disappointment)? Which one’s better? Also, were you a DUFF in high school / college?
As a reader and reviewer, I aim to write fair and honest reviews, both on this site and on Goodreads. Please read my Review Policy here.
This book caught me by surprise because it wasn't what I was expecting! And I mean that in the most positive way. I adored Bianca for her sass and her uniqueness as a YA heroine. WE NEED MORE OF HER TYPE IN YA. I haven't seen the film but in the future hopefully!
ReplyDeleteI agree that Bianca was a kickass heroine. She's unique and so strong and I love her. The book was definitely better than the movie because it had more depth and character, but don't take my word for it.
ReplyDeleteThis book is one of my all time favourites! I really love Bianca and her cynicism and Wesley and Bianca's romance is so adorable and hot! Plus I love how this book deals with insecurity.Reading The DUFF gave me so much inspiration,and I can't help but be glad whenever I see someone loving it as well.
ReplyDeleteGreat review Joy!
Me is confused right now because I just saw a bad review of this book. I guess it really works on a certain type of reader. I have to find out myself. Do you suggest to read the book first? :) I'm glad you loved it!!!!! <3
ReplyDeleteI’ve consistently been the DUFF in my friend groups, and I’m finally getting over that. Life is just too short to give a rip! Besides, I look all right - comparing is just useless and tears relationships down.
ReplyDeleteBut anyway - I actually liked the movie better! Maybe because it focused more on the message about self-worth rather than the sex thing? I thought that Bianca and Wes’s relationship overtook the book a bit too much for my taste. But I know I’m an outlier on that opinion :P
I have this book waiting to be read on my Kindle and I'm excited! But like Paula said, it's confusing at the same time too, because The DUFF seems to be one of those controversial books that you either love or hate. It sounds like I'll love it too, though -- cynical books are just my thing! Plus, Bianca sounds so much more realistic than any other protag I've come across, and I have a feeling she and I will have no problems getting along. :D
ReplyDeleteI guess the only thing I'm really worried about is the romance. TOO many times the romance ruins what could have been a perfectly good book, so I've become kind of cynical about books like this. And there's a love triangle too, even though Bianca is supposedly the undesirable DUFF?? >< But it's a relief that it worked out for you at least, haha. A love triangle that has you rooting for both love interests is a good love triangle imo!
NO WAY. The author was freaking NINETEEN when she wrote this?! Oh my god, I feel even more unaccomplished. I'm eighteen and I haven't done anything even half as awesome as that. *weeps quietly* I love that The DUFF seems to have a sense of honesty -- with the swearing and the sex -- that a lot of other YA books seem to lack. While I don't mind "clean" books, it's refreshing to catch a glimpse into the real teenage life every once in a while. (And as a teenager myself, I can say that a lot of us swear like sailors, lol.)
Thanks for the great review, Joy! You've definitely made me more excited to start this. :) Have you seen the movie, by the way?
I like when you root for different characters in a book, even if they work against each other. I did this with Death Note(the manga). It means the characters are well-written, because there's not a clear hero and villain, and I always think that's more realistic and nicer to read! It gives the reader a chance of figuring out for themselves who they like best, not just the one they're supposed to like.
ReplyDeleteI have this sitting on my tbr list for quite some time now.. it sounds like a fun read.. I can't believe this was written when the author was just 19.. when I was 19, I don't even have any idea what I should do with life then (although I'm already in a university then taking some epic-ly difficult major, haha). Great review! I'll make sure to read it soon :)
ReplyDelete